Uzbekistan sentences March bomb plotters

by Laurence on 8/25/2004 · 1 comment

From Reuters

An Uzbek court sentenced a group of militants to up to 18 years in prison on Tuesday after ruling they were involved in bombings and attacks earlier this year that killed 47 people.

The attacks in March and April rocked the authoritarian central Asian state and shattered five years of apparent stability in the U.S. ally bordering Afghanistan. The month-long trial was interrupted by suicide bomb attacks against the U.S. and Israeli embassies and the general prosecutor’s office.

Rights groups criticise President Islam Karimov for his harsh treatment of opponents and his jailing of thousands of dissident Muslims, but he says secular rule is endangered by militants seeking to set up a hardline Islamic state.

The court sentenced two of the 18 defendants — Furkat Yusupov, 24, and Farkhad Kazakbayev, 22 — to 18 years, the longest terms.

The prosecutor said last week he would not seek the death penalty, saying the ringleaders had all been killed in the clashes in the capital, Tashkent, and the ancient city of Bukhara.


Subscribe to receive updates from Registan

This post was written by...

– author of 618 posts on 17_PersonNotFound.

For information on reproducing this article, see our Terms of Use

{ 1 comment }

Nathan August 25, 2004 at 11:21 am

You’d think they were trying to impress certain people with such light sentences…

I actually noticed this reported in our commuter newspaper today.

Previous post:

Next post: