Wanted

by Nathan Hamm on 9/23/2004 · 7 comments

As this seems to have changed a lot in the past few years, I thought I’d pick all of your brains. What schools out there have Central Asia or related programs? I’m especially interested in which ones offer languages, politics, and history or have them available in addition to good advanced degree programs in poli-sci and/or international studies. I think that this is the grand-daddy, but I know that the list has grown recently.

I just found out that I didn’t pass the foreign service exam by a hair, but I’ve been interested in this anyway. There are some other government agencies that I’ve been interested in at which my ineligibility will soon expire. I’m not particularly thrilled with my job, and wouldn’t mind going back to school (if for no other reason than I know that’s about the only environment in which I’ll realistically improve my language skills).

And, in general, this would be a good list to maintain for this site.

Asror September 23, 2004 at 11:15 pm

Hey Nathan,
I think you know that I got a political science for the first semester here at UMaine. I found it interesting even though I am not in this major. My instructor is Dr. Singleton. He is a specialist in Russia and East Asia, and in int’l relations. He studied Russian history and literature at Harvard and politics at Yale. Prof. Singleton also worked at Pacific University of Oregon. Maybe you know him. He is a good source on former Soviet republics.
And his assistant’s name is Nathan.
If you want to talk to him I can ask an email for you.
How do you think? He is cool, man.

Laurence September 24, 2004 at 9:41 am

Nathan, I think the big programs are at Indiana, University of Washington, Wisconsin, and the Davis Center at Harvard University. Hopkins has a Central Asia-Caucasus Institute at SAIS, and I think there may be something at Columbia University as well. There may be some more, you might check out the Central Eurasian Studies Society website at: http://cess.fas.harvard.edu/.

Jack Grey September 25, 2004 at 6:43 am

The University of Texas at Austin ( http://www.utexas.edu ) offers pretty much everything your looking for. They have a Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies, as well as Asian Studies and more. If you decide to consider it, feel free to email me with any questions about the campus or city.

Haroon Moghul September 25, 2004 at 12:45 pm

Hi Jack. I was wondering if I could speak with you regarding UT Austin. I’m looking at South Asian programs (specifically, Pakistan-oriented), focusing on Penn, Harvard, and Columbia, but increasingly interested in UT. Just wanted to know how the city was, the people, the lifestyle, cost of living, etc. I’ve been pretty much in the Northeast for all my academic life.

My email: hsmoghul@hotmail.com

jodi September 26, 2004 at 8:56 am

I have also heard of Wisconsin’s program and actually have a friend who is currently enrolled in it. If you want more info., I can ask him to send you an email. Let me know…

Tatyana September 26, 2004 at 9:25 am

Nathan, I thought UoM has Central Asian programs, but when I checked it on their site (umich.edu), it tured out not to be the case – only Russian and Eastern Europe (doubled with Public Policy, Business or Law for double degree, if you want to).
On the other hand, they have graduate (and double-degree programs) in SouthEastern Asian Studies, so, Haroon, here’s your opportunity.

Andy September 27, 2004 at 3:18 pm

The School of Oriental and Asian Studies over in London, England offers a big selection of courses – language, cultural and political.

Also, I believe St Andrew’s in Scotland has a school of Middle East and Central Asian studies.

Finally, the ultimate resource for Central Asian studies, of course, is the site up at Harvard – http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~casww/

I haven’t been to check, but I’m pretty sure they’ll have a fairly comprehensive list of institutions.