Football Fans Riot in Tashkent

by Laurence on 11/1/2004 · 11 comments

Report from Ferghana.Ru

Resembling analogous events that regularly take place abroad, the riot organized by football fans in central Tashkent last Wednesday made citizens of Uzbekistan wonder.

Pakhtakor, the Uzbeks’ favorite football club, lost to South Koreans 0:2. Fans grumbled all through the match but nobody really expected mobs of youngsters to go on a deliberate and clearly pre-planned stampede afterwards.

The pedestrians who did not care about football but happened to be on Navoi Street then were scared indeed. Moreover, they suspect that there was more to the riot than the traditional protest of fans enraged by the defeat of their favorite team.

Nathan November 1, 2004 at 10:36 am

Futbol xuliganlar! (I’m sure I said that a little funny)

Tatyana November 1, 2004 at 12:49 pm

A little?

Nathan November 1, 2004 at 1:10 pm

Well, I was speaking Uzbek, which I’m not so hot at…

Tatyana November 1, 2004 at 1:43 pm

Uzbek part is not funny, it’s the use of “x” instead of kh. Congratulations, now you started to spell like typical Russian 2-year immigrant, mixing English and Russian letters. (Even nicer example would be “p” as a”r”)

Nathan November 1, 2004 at 2:54 pm

Au contraire!

I was using the Uzbek version of the latin alphabet. Technically, I could have spelled it wrong because both the “kh” and the “x” are used for the hard and soft versions of the sound. The problem is though, no one seems to know which is which, so they’re pretty subjectively used…

I do, though, have a problem mixing up the alphabets sometimes though. I am especially fond of using “p” when I mean “r” or “g” for “d.” Actually, I rather prefer Cyrillic.

Tatyana November 1, 2004 at 4:37 pm

Isn’t “x” transcribes the “ks” sound? Live and learn, for sure…

Nathan Hamm November 1, 2004 at 9:24 pm

Not in Uzbek. I think it’s the hard “kh.”

Asrorbek November 1, 2004 at 10:17 pm

Hey, what are you discussing without me:)
So, well, yes Nathan is right. We have a letter “x” which gives sound “kh” like in “paxta”(pakhta, cotton), “xalq”(khalq, folk). And we have “h” which is the “h” as in English.
But I don’t know wether there is a word “xuligan” in uzbek literature or not.
Most people use this word in their everyday speeches. The literal word for “xuligan” is “bezori”, “mahmadona”,”buzg’unchi” or like this which means the same as “hooligan”.
any other questions?
peace

Nathan November 2, 2004 at 4:55 pm

That’s right! No “kh” at all! H is soft and X is hard.

Tim Newman November 3, 2004 at 3:14 am

Thatâ??s right! No â??khâ?? at all! H is soft and X is hard.

Is H not N? 🙂

I always use kh when “Latinising” the Cyrillic x. And I always use zh instead of j, as in Nizhnekamsk instead of Nijnekamsk.

Asrorbek November 18, 2004 at 6:48 am

H is N in Russian alphabet.
In Uzbek latin alphabet h is h and x is kh.
peace