Zerkala: В киргизских степях

by Nathan Hamm on 1/7/2005 · 10 comments

From Zerkala, described as

…a database comprising published and unpublished sources on Russian colonialism in Central Asia and the Caucasus (ca. 1850-1914). The Russian word ‘zerkala’ means ‘mirrors’, and we chose this name because the database brings together texts and pictures reflecting the Russian view of the new colonial lands on its southern borders and, what is new, the perceptions of Muslim authors from Central Asia and the Caucasus of their colonial overlord: Russia and the Russians.

In the database you will find texts and pictures from Russian journals and from archives in St. Petersburg, Tashkent and Baku in Russian, Azeri, Central Asian Turki, and Persian.

I could spend hours in there.

Tim Newman January 8, 2005 at 7:09 am

Hmm, I’m struggling with the language a bit. I’ll have to save this site for when my Russian improves.

Tatyana January 8, 2005 at 11:16 am

A bit, Tim? That’s already is an improvement.

Interesting site, I’ll come over, thank you, Nathan.

Tatyana January 8, 2005 at 11:17 am

OT: Nathan, have you check recently “jj travels” on your blogroll? Interesting post on absence of jobs in Uzbekistan and how Namanghan’s streets look empty, no trade allowed – no people.

Tim Newman January 9, 2005 at 1:24 am

Heh, maybe I meant a lot!

My Russian is quickly improving, so the lessons are paying of pretty well. I have a friend who I can practice with, but I really need to speak it all day and every day to get to where I want to with it.

When I am proficient, I’ll make sure I come back to that site.

Tim Newman January 9, 2005 at 1:24 am

Paying of? I meant paying off. Obviously learning Russian comes at the expense of a spelling ability in English.

Nathan Hamm January 9, 2005 at 1:41 am

It does, horribly so.

I enjoyed the site even though my Russian skills are on par with those of an illiterate village idiot. Really, when it comes to reading Russian, it’s like it’s an entirely different language to me. Give me nice, slow Russian with lots of Tajik and Turkic filler and I’m happy. Present me with real Russian and I’m at a grinning idiot.

By the way Tim, were you aware that the youngest daughter of Kazakhstan’s president is kind of cute? I meant to have pictures today, but I’ll probably get to it tomorrow.

Tim Newman January 10, 2005 at 3:17 am

I am led to believe that the Russian I am being taught is the purest of the pure. I wonder what it really is?

I wasn’t aware of the attractiveness of the Kazakh president’s daughter, and I consider myself to be a miserable failure for not knowing this. I’ll browse for some pictures at some point.

Nathan Hamm January 10, 2005 at 7:25 am

I think every Russian I’ve ever met claims to speak the purest form of Russian. In Yakutsk, they mercilessly mocked Muscovites for not speaking quickly enough.

My excuse is that I learned most of what I know from people who speak it as a second language.

Tim Newman January 11, 2005 at 4:45 am

I think every Russian Iâ??ve ever met claims to speak the purest form of Russian. In Yakutsk, they mercilessly mocked Muscovites for not speaking quickly enough.

You’re kidding me? I thought they spoke at about a million words per minute in Moscow. I guess I’ll be staying away from Irkutsk for a while.

Tatyana January 11, 2005 at 3:08 pm

Tim, Muscovites are notorious for draging some vowels while skipping others (and some other specificities).
For example, if Muscovite addresses you as “Ð?оÑ?огой дÑ?Ñ?г”, it will sound like “Ð?’Ñ?ааагOй”.

And Yakutsk is farther away from Moscow than Irkutsk.