Asia Blog Awards Results

by Nathan Hamm on 1/9/2005 · 7 comments

Thanks for all your votes! We won!

Results for all categories can be found at Simon World.

Tatyana January 9, 2005 at 2:05 pm

You owe me a beer.

Nathan January 10, 2005 at 9:18 am

Well, it’s well-established that I never leave Philadelphia, so you know where to find me! I’d offer homebrew, but I’m not terribly impressed with what’s in the fridge. Maybe there’s something better in the cellar cabinet under my silverware.

Tatyana January 10, 2005 at 10:13 am

I only wanted to make it easier for you by suggesting beer.
If it was up to me, I’ll take a nice old port or at least a Bristol cream.
Some day.

Nathan January 10, 2005 at 10:25 am

Uggghh… Port… I bought a carton (a god damned milk carton!) of port in Chirchik during training. I got absolutely loaded at the Chemical College. This was the night during which UZ10 gained its reputation for being a bunch of lushes. I was, however, a mere witness to the worst misbehavior that night (some of which was simply fate–as was the case with the six foot tall window that fell out of it’s pane when a friend leaned against it).

While nursing a hangover at the back of a bus on the way to Samarkand the next morning, I swore off port forever.

Tatyana January 10, 2005 at 10:39 am

It’s considered a bad form among X-Soviet X-pats to even compare drinks with identical names between two worlds. They are anything but analogous. Next thing you’re going to tell me Veuve Clicot(sp?) is horrible because you got trashed with Soviet Brute once!

I’m talking about divine liquid from land of Portugal, with honey consistency and noble dust accumulated on a black bottle…

Nathan January 10, 2005 at 10:52 am

Bad form’s my middle name, honey.

I have heard of excellent, superb, incredible port, but haven’t had the opportunity to partake. It’s mostly psychological, I know. I know people who have sworn off whiskey after bad experiences only to return to its warm embrace.

Actually, a friend and I would drink Cognac in Uzbekistan because it, just a little, reminded us of whiskey.

Tatyana January 10, 2005 at 6:55 pm

OK, it’s a middle ground (diplomacy at work; pre-req. for that State Dep exam…)
Cognac it is. Hennessey or Hines?