Lenin’s Tomb: Alternative Designs

by Nathan Hamm on 1/19/2005 · 6 comments

From Russian Utopia: A Depository (via Secret Plans).

It took me a while to figure this one out, but it’s kind of cool.

I really had planned some of my usual fare, but it’s snowing, so I’m not quite myself today.

praktike January 19, 2005 at 3:08 pm

If you put a marble at the top of the one you link to, where would it come out?

Ken Sharpe January 19, 2005 at 10:16 pm

I was in Russia a few months ago and was right on Red Square, and I think that this would be a fitting final resting place for Lenin.

Tim Newman January 20, 2005 at 12:39 am

Personally I think he should be flung in the Moskva and someone more worthy put in his place. I saw an old guy sweeping snow off Red Square last year who looked as though he would not last much longer. He would do.

Alexei January 20, 2005 at 3:46 am

Isn’t it remarkable that the Bolsheviks chose a ziggurat for the Mausoleum? A tasteful and refined ziggurat, of course — at least in comparison with those pompous drafts (Schusev was a great modernist architect) — but still, this type of structure is associated with the worship of the gods that the Old Testament treats as not just false but downright satanic.

Tatyana January 21, 2005 at 12:06 am

Thank you so much, Nathan. I’ve bookmarked the site.
The only place I was able to find a rendering by Zholtovsky (who’s mentioned in Naiman’s novel) – and Bazhenov, Kazakov and Chernikhov, all together.

Tim Newman January 21, 2005 at 5:25 am

That is an excellent site. I particularly like the Aeroflot HQ. And I always wondered what the Palace of Soviets would have looked like.