gravatars

by Nathan Hamm on 1/30/2005 · 15 comments

I figured that while I was messing around with graphics and enabling gravatars on the site, I might as well make some in case anyone wants them. Claim any of the following, all from The Empire That Was, in the extended.

If you claim one and don’t want it to be available any longer, just leave a comment.

Younghusband January 30, 2005 at 7:50 pm

Nice gravs!!

Nathan Hamm January 30, 2005 at 7:56 pm

Looks like that worked! I had one of the Emir of Bukhara up, but I snagged him for myself. The Sher Dor tiger is screwed up and when I fixed and resubmitted it, it ended up the same. Might as well be the Emir since I call the shots around here 🙂

Nathan Hamm January 30, 2005 at 7:59 pm

Oh yeah, and as for Argus, whom I considered, well, there’s only so much beef baton I’m willing to flaunt around the internet.

student January 30, 2005 at 10:03 pm

test:) my gravatar

student January 30, 2005 at 10:05 pm

Nathan, I put my gravatar on the comment above, but it didn’t appear. I used code “img src…”.
What’s the problem?

Nathan Hamm January 30, 2005 at 10:07 pm

You need to go to the website gravatar.com and sign up for an account. Then everytime you go to gravatar-enabled sites like mine or Coming Anarchy, your gravatar will show up.

Nathan Hamm January 30, 2005 at 10:11 pm

Woops, I see from your email that you did go to their website and sign up. Wait for the email from them saying you’ve received a rating. As long as you use the same email address in my comments form as you did to sign up with them, it should show up.

Tim Newman January 31, 2005 at 1:50 am

Ahem. Where are the beautiful Central Asian women?

student January 31, 2005 at 9:27 am

test;)
How is my gravatar?

Nathan January 31, 2005 at 9:40 am

Damn… I was going to take that one. Actually my version is here. I’ve claimed another of the above now.

Tim, I’ll have to make some… Gotta find some good pics though.

Tatyana January 31, 2005 at 1:57 pm

Nathan, can you make one for me out of this? This site (via plep has more Prokudin-Gorski photographs, including Central Asian and Caucasus.

Mark Hamm January 31, 2005 at 4:29 pm

Tatyana,

What kind of tree is that? It looks like a ‘Monkey Puzzle’ tree, but that is a tropical tree and that scene doesn’t look tropical.

Tatyana January 31, 2005 at 5:37 pm

It’s araucaria.
I’ll copy the entry next to the photograph:
…It’s not surprising that this image is from a royal garden of some sort; araucaria (the pipe-cleaner-looking trees) are native only to South America and Australasia. Paul Gavrilovic has more and better information: “[Dagomys is] a resort town on the black sea in Georgia, known today as Sochi. A popular resort in imperial times as well as for Soviet citizens. The climate is subtropical, kind of like the coast of the Carolinas in the U.S. Which explains the Araucaria trees. The garden, although here royal conservatory, is typical of the area–palm trees and other tropical plants are found throughout the towns on the Black Sea, from Odessa to Yalta (Crimea) to Sukhumi and Gagry (Georgia). In fact, the Krasnodar region, just north of the Caucasus, as well as Georgia, are tea-growing areas, which shows how mild the climate there is.”

Nathan January 31, 2005 at 5:41 pm

So, you’re right dad, it’s probably a monkey puzzle tree. Well, closely related at least.

Mark Hamm February 2, 2005 at 2:17 am