In Photos

by Nathan Hamm on 3/24/2005 · 12 comments

Akayev’s empty seat:

Azimbek Beknazarov:

Bakiev:

Looked a lot different when I was there…

Felix Kulov, freed from prison.

And, there goes some of my respect for KelKel… I guess not everyone takes “We peacefully express our protest!” to heart.

Visit EurasiaNet for more photos.

C Schwartz March 24, 2005 at 2:12 pm

It is utterly remarkable what is happening in Kyrgyzstan!

A few caveats: I’m not an enthusiast for “domnio theories,” so only time will tell what the “Tulip Revolution” portends, if anything, for the broader region of Central Asia. I also worry about what might happen to Kyrgyzstan if a new government with popular legitimacy and true as well as practical democracy cannot be quickly established. FInally, entire army units and police forces turning tail and vanishing into the alleyways and hills? That is not a good sign. Russia giving asylum to Akayev? Also not a good sign. I pray this doesn’t ultimately devolve into civil strife.

Nevertheless, let’s bask in the glory of this moment. The Kyrgyzstani peoples have finally risen.

Nathan March 24, 2005 at 2:26 pm

“Wave” is a much better analogy than dominos. Huntington notes that these events have tended to happen like a tide rolling in and out.

Mike March 24, 2005 at 2:28 pm

Don’t believe in domino theories? That’s getting to be as ridiculous as not believing in gravity. But democracy is catching on in two regions- the Islamic world and the FSU- that Central Asia is part of. Next stop, Dushanbe.

Brendan Steinhauser March 24, 2005 at 2:51 pm

Contagious.

Nathan March 24, 2005 at 3:14 pm

Sorry Mike, not quite buying it. These do things happen in waves, but can mostly be explained by domestic politics. Our theory should reflect reality on the ground. Sure, events elsewhere can fan the flames, but there needs to be fuel for there to be a full conflagration. I don’t see it in Dushanbe though I’m open to edification.

Ross March 24, 2005 at 3:53 pm

Boy, that Akayev guy sure has a lot of rotary-dial phones!

Sepra March 24, 2005 at 11:58 pm

The “Akayev, ket!” signs are pretty clear aren’t they! Not even an -ing on the end to show respect!

My favorite picture was the Russian woman with the tulips, but it doesn’t seem to be on this page.

As for the “wave of democracy” — I’m not so sure that will happen either. I think if people get too self-congratulatory and optimistic too early, things could go worng. I’m hopeful, but with the way things work in the stans… it could go in a much nastier direction too.

Sepra March 24, 2005 at 11:59 pm