Reporters Get Word Out

by Nathan Hamm on 5/13/2005 · 7 comments

Lyndon has a translation of a Ferghana.ru story with word from correspondents in the city.

Galima Bukharbaeva, correspondent for the London “Institute of War and Peace Reporting,” who was in the thick of things in the center of Andijan, had her backpack shot through. She discovered this upon returing to her hotel. According to her, BTR’s were firing directly on the crowd of people. G. Bukharbaeva confirms the reports of numerous casualties among the peaceful inhabitants of the city. Reuters correspondent Shamil Baigin, who is in Andijan, came under fire and is currently in [an unspecified] part of the city, hiding from bullets and from the “cleansing operations” [“zachistki”] which are being conducted by the security forces.

Ferghana.ru also reports that President Karimov will hold a press conference tomorrow and they have a short interview with Muhammad Solikh, who called the uprising in Andijon one of common people and not Islamists.

Tatyana May 13, 2005 at 4:09 pm

Nathan, here’s another source (I lifted it from one of the LJ-users, native of Andijan): http://www.gzt.ru/headline.gzt?id=64054900000054405. Look at the pictures.

Lyndon May 13, 2005 at 4:25 pm

There are a bunch of pictures available here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/old_benj/186428.html?#cutid1

The person posting them admits that they were emailed to him and he’s not sure of the original source, although I’ve seen some (though not all) of these photos in other media.

Blogger appears to be crashed at this opportune moment, so I am not able to post anything just now, although I am looking for more sources and there seem to be plenty of opinions and versions of events out there in Russian.

This interestingly named website – http://www.stopdictatorkarimov.com/ – has linked to this – http://www.geocities.com/dossier_tashkent_process_07/rebellion.html – a declaration by a group calling itself “Islamic Jihad” (”Исломий Жиход,” to be exact). I am not sure what to make of this, although I initially found it on Centrasia.ru (here – http://www.centrasia.ru/news.php4?st=1116035760 ) – in my rather uninformed opinion, this is just the kind of thing Karimov might want to have out there, so that he can convince international observers that whatever has taken place/is taking place in Andijan is part of the international “war on Islamic terrorism.” But again, that’s just my uninformed opinion.

Nathan, you may want to look at this and perhaps do a post on it – Blogger is totally letting me down, so I can’t, plus it is getting to be a bit past my bedtime here in Moscow.

Lyndon May 13, 2005 at 4:49 pm

Here’s an interesting link – http://enews.ferghana.ru/detail.php?id=202148881235.79,909,3856573 – this is an English-language article from Fergana.Ru, and it looks like the only thing they have in English on the Andijan events (I just found their English-language section by clicking on the link – http://enews.ferghana.ru/main.php – helpfully labeled “English”), but it seems pretty current and thorough.

I am at my wit’s end with Blogger – my site is inaccessible and has been for the past 2 hours – same with the blogger.com page and all other blogger sites I’ve tried to access. I guess it’s a free service, and you get what you pay for, but this is a bit frustrating.

Anyway, keep trying to click through to “Scraps of Moscow,” eventually Blogger will get its act together and I’ll be online again.

Lyndon May 13, 2005 at 5:05 pm

OK, it looks like blogger sites such as mine are now accessible again, but the system itself is down for “planned maintenance” according to blogger.com, so I still can’t post for another hour and I really need to get some sleep. One more translation, of the RIA Novosti interview with Solikh (though from Russian it’s “Salikh”) that Ferghana.ru ran on its page and Nathan mentioned above:

The leader of the Uzbek opposition wants to draw on Georgian experience.
22:35 (MSK)
URL: http://rian.ru/politics/cis/20050513/39980731.html

TBILISI, 13 May – RIA “Novosti,” Marina Kvaratskheliia. The leader of the Uzbek opposition, chairman of the Democratic Party Mukhammed Salikh, wants to draw on the Georgian experience of a revolutionary change of power.

“We are currently working on moving the process onto a peaceful, democratic course. We are doing everything possible to draw on the experience of the peaceful revolutions in Georgia, Ukraine, and Kirghizia [sic],” said Salikh from Oslo in a telephone interview with the Georgian television station “Mze.”

According to him, “we must get rid of Islam Karimov’s regime with a minimum of losses.” “In this respect the experience of Georgia and of Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili will be very useful to us,” said Salikh.

The politician emphasized, that the events in the Uzbek city of Andijan are not an Islamic revolution. “This is not an uprising of Islamists, but rather an uprising of simple people, who are sick and tired of Karimov’s regime. Karimov is doing everything to crush this uprising in the bloodiest way,” said Salikh.

Nathan May 13, 2005 at 5:28 pm

Islamic Jihad may be the same group that was involved in/released statements after/had some connection to last year’s bombings. Not much is known about them and they may be the same as Jamoat. They went to Centrasia.ru with their statement last year too.

Calling Solih the head of the democratic opposition is a stretch and the reporters should know better. He’s the exiled head of Erk and probably not someone too many of us would be comfortable with.

Thanks for all the links and get some rest! I may need to take a break soon. It’s been a rough day at work between this and all the little crises that popped up needing attention.

Lyndon May 13, 2005 at 7:33 pm

OK, I’m finally off to sleep, but on my way there I did translate the Islamic Jihad statement, if anyone’s interested: http://scrapsofmoscow.blogspot.com/2005/05/islamic-jihad-weighs-in.html

david_walther May 14, 2005 at 1:19 am

it looks like the blocked news access has now extended further onto the internet—i can’t open BBC or ORT (TV1) now. i guess some poeple, though, who have the other cable company don’t have their news blocked–something to do with whether you have a legal descrambler or an illegal one, i think.