“Che Guevara Saved My Life”

by Laurence on 6/30/2005 · 12 comments

Galima Bukharbaeva in Senate Hearing Room Among the most dramatic testimony at yesterday’s Senate hearing on the Andijan crisis came from Galima Bukharbaeva, IWPR’s Uzbekistan correspondent, who gave an eyewitness account of the violent conflict in Andijan on May 13th. At one point, Bukharabareva held up a red notebook that stopped a bullet which had passed through her knapsack. On the cover of the notebook was a picture of Che Guevara. She said afterwards, “Che Guevara saved my life.”

Katy June 30, 2005 at 9:37 am

Wow – thanks!

Nathan June 30, 2005 at 2:55 pm

Dang, you’re right. She is very pretty.

Bertrand July 1, 2005 at 3:30 am

Galima is a dedicated and courageous young woman. That she hung on in Uzbekistan as long as she did – under constant harassment from the government – speaks volumes for the hardy few in this region that make the coddled efforts of many journalists pale by comparison. Galima’s sister, who works for AP, is another such example.

Nathan July 1, 2005 at 10:11 am

That’s what I was thinking. She is tough. Both she and her sisters are great reporters.

Agustin Blazquez July 1, 2005 at 10:47 am

Che Guevara was a criminal and a mass murderer. He instituted execution as punishment since his days at the Sierra Maestra Mountains in Cuba prior to 1959. After 1959 he was in charge of executions in La Cabana Prison in Havana. By all witnesses account he was a cold blooded killer. There is nothing heroic about him. If Galima was saved by her red notebook, it was because of the thickness of the cardboard and papers not because of the image of Che. Don’t contribute to the false myth of this criminal. Che was not or is not a saint.

Conductor July 1, 2005 at 11:58 am

If that book saved her life, it’s the first life “saved” by a man who knew nothing except how to kill. The following is a quote from Guevara himself:

“Hatred is an element of struggle; relentless hatred of the enemy that impels us over and beyond the natural limitations of man and transforms us into effective, violent, selective, and cold killing machines. Our soldiers must be thus; a people without hatred cannot vanquish a brutal enemy.”

Even if you are fighting a just war (which Guevara never fought in) civilized people know how to have compassion for their enemies. Worship Ghandi Worship Mother Teresa, Worship Martin Luther King but don’t fall into the trap of the mindless masses that worship Che Guevara.

Alexis Molina July 1, 2005 at 12:51 pm

Ernesto Guevara de la Serna (che) was an adventurer and a criminal, he abandoned his wife and children while he was engaged in rampant killing in Bolivia where he finally paid for all the suffering and crimes committed, and all the pain caused back in Cuba.

By the way the person who was in charge of his capture, was a Cuban born man whose father hung himself after Guevara took away his business in the name of the revolution, the old man had just become the owner of little shop. The son swore to avenge the death of his father and God allowed him to do it.

Pancho Perico July 1, 2005 at 12:54 pm

I love Che.

I hate fags, and Che created the first concentration camp in Cuba to intern faggots. That’s where they belong.

Later on, his friends Raul and Fidel created the UMAPS (concentration camps for faggots). That was great!

Unfortunately, they caved to international pressure and close the UMAPS several years later.But Fidel and his brother Raul are very clever. Now they have”sanatoria” (concentration camps in disguise) to keep fags infested with AIDS out of circulation. I love them for that.

What I still cannot explaim mayself is why San Francsico gays love Castro so much. Do you have any explanation?

Pancho

Ray Sandovar July 1, 2005 at 1:31 pm

Che Guevara was a psychopath with political power. Can anything be worst? It’s unfortunate that correspondent phrased her remark the way that she did. I can only hope that it was a mistake and not out of admiration for that blood thirsty killer.

If she had had a copy of Mein Kampf in her knapsack would she have said Adolf Hitler saved my life??

Pancho Perico July 2, 2005 at 12:06 am

I love Che, and I love Castro even more. Like our Fuhrer, he hated Jews and Blacks. Don’t you see that there are akmost no blacks among the Castroite elite? He’s no fool.

Castro admired our Fuhrer so much that the ended his defense for the Moncada barracks’ attack using Hitler’s words: “Condemn me; never mind. History will absolve me!

We white separatists love Che, Castro and Raul. We love Raul so much!

Panchito the White(

René Dayre July 2, 2005 at 12:47 am

I think that Pancho Perico is a desguised nazi . In fact he is a castrist. An anachronic one! Come on, Pancho ! Why do you hate gays ?
I am certain you are one of them , like Raul Castro . Do you know that Raul’s daughter is a lesbian? Do you know se is advocating for gays ,lesbians and travesties in Cuba ?.
Fuck you , Pancho Perico , maricón !!! Finaly you sign your comment Panchito the White , this is really ridiculous. What you are is a comunist. An outfased one! ( comunista desfasado, compadre, para entendernos mejor )Go back to Cuba. Your paradise!!!.

Nathan July 2, 2005 at 12:50 am

Guys, seriously, we get the point. You don’t like Che. Neither do I. But I think she was saying it tongue-in-cheek.

You know, I would think people who have a thing against a Communist dictatorship might have a little sympathy for a journalist–a damned fine one at that–who nearly took a bullet fired into a crowd of protesters.

If this site dealt with the merits of Che or Latin American issues at all, it’d be one thing. But it’s not. The point is made. Che sucks. Let’s move on.