Kissinger Goes to Kazakhstan

by Nathan Hamm on 10/16/2005 · 7 comments

Interfax reports on his comments about US-Kazakh relations.

Talking to journalists in Astana on Saturday following a meeting with Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, Kissinger said that the U.S. and Kazakhstan have good relations in the security field. He added that the fact that high-ranking U.S. officials have been regularly visiting Kazakhstan of late shows that the U.S. administration is willing to deepen this cooperation and interaction.

They also say that he “hailed the outcome of his meeting with Nazarbayev.” But they don’t mention what those meetings were about. Though I would assume they are business-related, rampant speculation and conspiracy-theorizing is more than welcome.

brian October 16, 2005 at 3:39 pm

When ex-diplomats make visits to foreign countries long after they’ve left public service I always wonder what kind of business interests of their own they have in the region.

SBagel October 17, 2005 at 8:37 pm

Hi Nathan!I am new to Registan which I found by “accident” actually while searching for “U.S military bases in Kyrgyzstan”. I read your Registan with great interest and some of the materials are eyes-opener. Starting today, your page is one my essentials for obtaining CIS news /analyses etc.! apart from the daily routine of checking news with CNN, BBC, pravda and those others CIS-related.

Coming back to your articles, yeah, what exactly was Kissinger doing in Kazakhstan? I tend to think to “networking” to those relevant for future agenda, namely economic related? He has been tasked to do so. That is possible !

BTW, how is your cat, which I offered to name Blacky / Schwarzy ? 😉

Nathan October 17, 2005 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for reading!

Since a few people have brought him up in comments today, the cat’s doing fine. He is still without a name. Schwarz was one I was thinking about. I have a ridiculous list of possible names.

Academic Elephant October 18, 2005 at 10:59 am

Hmmm…and Rumsfeld is going on Thursday or Friday. Kissinger was at the Pentagon last week. Wonder what’s cooking?

As a lay-person in Stan-land, I do appreciate your site.

Lyndon October 18, 2005 at 4:12 pm

Whatever Kissinger was doing there, you can bet it cost someone a lot of money in lobbying fees. Since he left government, I think it’s safe to say he’s collected many times his pension through his firm, which was first Kissinger Associates and now (I guess with the addition of former Clinton Chief of Staff “Mack” McLarty) Kissinger McLarty Associates. No doubt the one-time Harvard professor has applied all of his brilliance to mastering the dark arts of influence peddling. The firm is so publicity-averse (or maybe they just don’t need to advertise) that their public website – http://www.kmaglobal.com/ – consists of a single, unadorned page with contact information.

McLarty’s bio on the Carlyle Group’s page provides us with the following info about Kissinger’s shop: “Mr. McLarty is President of Kissinger McLarty Associates, a partnership with Dr. Henry Kissinger that provides strategic advisory and advocacy services to U.S. and multinational businesses involved in Mexico and Latin America.”

SBagel October 18, 2005 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Lyndon for the information..save me time finding out what Kissinger “portfolio” currently is !