Galima Bukharbaeva on NewsHour

by Nathan Hamm on 12/23/2005 · 8 comments

Click the image for a transcript and link to video.

Jahongir December 23, 2005 at 3:27 am

The first time when I saw Galima was just recently. Free Uzbekistan (www.freeuzbekistan.com) had the link to the video file of Enviromental Justice Organisation(http://www.ejfoundation.org/video/true_cost_of_cotton.mov).And there I saw our hero. Honnestly, when I had been reading the reports of the journalist of IWPR I had the impression that Galima Buharbaeva was a women of 40 or something like that. I could never imagine that she was a young woman and so pretty, indeed. And when I saw her I was really surprised, shoked and troubled. I just had the deep feeling of great respect to this young woman. Well, I’d had it always before I saw her, seeing how she was working in Uzbekistan and reading her reports. But when I saw that she was a such fragile woman who risking her life decided to come in Andijan and was the eyewitness of the terrible massacre I had just the wish to bend my knee before that courageous woman. She is indeed one of the first persons who told all truth about Andijan, and if she weren’t that day in Bobur Square one should have the doubts whether the world would know this awful story. Frankly, it’s terrible to see how the women of Uzbekistan decide to be implicated in this struggle. Elena Urlaeva, Muttabar Tojibaeva are one of them. We, the men, should admire their courage that we often miss in this hard time. Remember one of the trials on Andijan events when one of the mothers survived in the massacre publicly witnessed the solders had opened the fire on pacific demonstration. She was alone. And SHE is.

brejen December 26, 2005 at 8:32 pm

bukharbayeva is excuse me a bitch. she goes all over and tells everybody how a bullet hit her in her back pack and how she miraclously survived. i do not believe a word she says/ when she said that uzbekistan people sit around a radio receiver and listen to the Liberty Radio, i can tell you she lies. Who in Uzbekistan knows about that Radio? I never listened to the Free Europe radio in Uzbekistan and i do not think that the uzbekistan people have time to listen to the reportings of journalists like Galima Bukharbayeva. They would rather listen to Borat sogdiev-the number 2 Kazakstan TV reporter.
Peace

Nathan December 26, 2005 at 9:02 pm

I knew Uzbeks who at least knew about Radio Liberty. They said things to lead me to believe they periodically listened to it (but also made me believe they didn’t believe it). But I would be skeptical of anyone suggesting that masses and masses of people listen to it regularly.

Laurence December 27, 2005 at 8:48 am

Brejen,

We ran a photo of Galima Bukharbaeva’s notebook with the bullet hole on Registan when she testified in Washington, DC. It was red and had a picture of Che Guevara on the cover (which upset some Cuban-American readers at the time).

Nathan,

None of my students listened to Radio Liberty. Zero percent. They watched Russian news on cable television and said they trusted Russian sources, not Uzbek media.

brejen December 27, 2005 at 11:29 pm

Laurence, i do not deny the fact that the uzbek armed forces shot people on May,13 2005. I also believe Bukharabayeva was in Andizhan on that day and I believe she did narrow escape her death. But I think she behaves like a clown. She is like a trained animal who travels to places and make those funny dances that people like. Why tell the same thing a thousand times? I saw her notebook (with senior Ernesto Guevara on it) during her report at the Environmental Justice Organisation. Of course everybody wanted to hear that Islam Karimov is cruel and merciless tyrant and Galima Bukharabayeva was the one who made Uzbekistan look like Namibia or Mozambik.
I would though like to emphasize that i do not support what the Uzbek Government did in Andizhan

Rustam December 28, 2005 at 3:52 pm

So what, as long as she is out there and opening the eyes of US public, academia and some of the congressman, she is doing a great service to her country, to people of Uzbekistan, to open up the real face of the IshAK and his killers. Without her all the public opinion in the West and in the US in particular would be organised around the lies and absolute support to IshAK sadly expressed by Shirin Akiner and Bukharian Jews.