Sexy

by Nathan Hamm on 1/3/2006 · 10 comments

According to an opinion poll, Vladimir Zhirinovsky is the politician most often mentioned as sexiest.

50 per cent of respondents believe that Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the flamboyant leader of the ultra-nationalist LDPR party, to be the most daring of all while 59 per cent said he was the most cheerful, and 33 per cent believe him to be the sexiest of all.

I will never entirely understand Russia.

UPDATE: Upon reconsideration, perhaps it is actually that I will never entirely understand women.

Brought to you as part of the MosNews Appreciation Society’s public outreach program.

Younghusband January 3, 2006 at 2:26 pm

I saw that this morning… Nuts!

Sean-Paul Kelley January 3, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Being that I am married to a Russian woman I would say that it is a little of both. And I understand neither, even after living with a Russian and a woman for this long. As a matter of fact, I’m more confused now more than ever.

David Walther January 3, 2006 at 5:38 pm

I am also married to a Russian woman but I won’t make any generalizations out of it either! 😉

I will add, though, for those who have not been following the Z-man for as many years (I have never met him or anything, but I did fake my way into an interview at an LDPR regional headquarters once in 1998) that his “sexiness” may stem in part from the fact that he’s the only Duma member who I’ve seen or heard who talks very openly about, er, sexual matters. In fact, in 98 or 99 he published a biography that apparantly had all kinds of salacious details from his personal sexual exploits. It caused a bit of a stir, and that was back before he became a member of “acceptable society.”

Yeah, and you have to consider who he’s up against, too. Ambassador to Ukraine Viktor Chernomyrdin is not exactly calandar material… for the record though, according to my wife and her friends Putin is the sexy political icon of modern Russia. I’ve actually heard girls talking about him in dreamy superhunk tones.

Rustam January 3, 2006 at 8:04 pm

This is one of the reasons why I am saddened to see ever growing influence of Russia in Uzbekistan. This perfectly demonstrates the present political atmosphere, situation in Russia, i.e. the fame of the waco nationalist who openly called for the return to old Russian chauvinistic attitude (“dipping his feet in Indian ocean”), who was supporting Saddam, foretelling and hopping the defeat of US imperialism in Iraq, and the fact that in today’s Russian political arena You can talk about anything You like, sex, home affairs, arts, comedy and music but don’t You dare to talk about administrative reform, the track record of the current cabinet, CIS foreign policy, oligarchs, corruption, reform of natural monopolies, human rights..
I hate to say it but Putin’s Russia really resembles Karimov’s Uzbekistan and it will get worth, I am sure of it.

Down and Out in Sài Gòn January 4, 2006 at 10:42 pm

Mind you, it could inspire a new campaign song:

If you want my Partei and you think I’m sexy
Come on Russia tell me so
If you really need me just goosewalk and salute me
Come on voters let me know…

Let me stick my hand up as another bewildered heterosexual bloke. I thought I’d better double-check with my wife, so I got her in, pointed, and asked “Is he sexy?” She didn’t bother answering; she just scrunched up her face in scorn at the photograph.

Nathan January 4, 2006 at 11:06 pm

I purposefully picked the most effeminate picture I could find.

But, go here and click on the small screen version of the video under item two. At about the 43 second mark, one can see that Zhirinovsky is a master of the hockey jersey pull-over fight techniques. I guess that counts for something. (A lot of good it did him as Zavaliev looks to have landed a solid blow while Zh was down.)

And, he knows what makes women happy (I only refer to the photo as I didn’t read the actual text). And the lady at 1:04 of the video seems to like him. But then again, something like this should turn the women off of him.

Robert Mayer January 4, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Damn. I put up a post about this — same picture and everything! — only come to find that you beat me too it by an entire day. THIS is why I should visit Registan every hour, on the hour.

Matt W January 7, 2006 at 4:47 am

FYI, his biography also had a nude picture of him in the shower.

Tatyana January 7, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Nothing specifically Russian or mysterious about it: women everywhere like the “bad boy”. Or a “clown”. Or some women. Or certain women.
You get it, I’m sure.

The Asianist January 11, 2006 at 4:52 pm

I will never entirely understand Russia.

Has it occurred to you that many Russians don’t entirely understand Russia?