links for 2006-01-12

by Nathan Hamm on 1/11/2006 · 7 comments

These should be popping up every night from now on. Do people find it useful to have this show up on the front page daily rather than just on the RSS feeds, email service, and the page where they’ve always been?

Matt W January 12, 2006 at 1:50 am

Maybe a bar on the side would be better. Registan’s format is pretty narrow.

Amira January 12, 2006 at 3:36 am

I think this is a good idea and I’d like to see it on the front page every day.

Brian January 12, 2006 at 9:58 am

The only thing is if it’s on the page every day it’ll bump all the other posts (along with their witty and urbane commentary) further down the page… I’m not sure how much scrolling my wheel-mouse can take without risking serious damage!

I like the article on UzA about Karimov and the hajj. Ahh, this leter from the haji to Karimov sounds like it’s just straight from the heart.

“Conditions created from the early years of independence for the Muslims of our Motherland, for us making blessed hajj, are a proof of your fatherly attention to national and religious values. Your kind aspirations for the sake of the country’s interests inspire our people for new deeds,” the letter said.

Nathan January 12, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Does it help for me to throw some of the post in the full post link? I’m already editing them to categorize them properly. The only catch is that I may have to schedule them differently so that I catch them at a good time.

And stories like the hajj one are the reason I want these on the front page. Especially as I’m pretty busy nowadays, there are loads of stories I’d like to mention that I never get to otherwise.

Brian January 12, 2006 at 12:41 pm

You mean like how you have it set up right now, showing only the first few links on the homepage? Yeah, I think that’s alright.
I understand… being a grad student and keeping this website updated must be a ton of work. My eyeballs get sore and dry after reading only a few articles in a sitting.

Nathan January 12, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Ya, like how I have it set up now. And, having come to realize that too many posts per day means lots of unread posts, I’ve tried to limit it to just a few per day.

Yes, time is eternally short. I’ve got a ridiculous amount of reading this term (almost all about Mongols and religion of Central Asian nomads, so it’s stuff I quite enjoy), this website, and the one I get paid for, the last of which takes up a couple hours per day.

Matt W January 12, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Yes, the shortened format that doesn’t bump other posts down so much is better.