Tatar – Gantsaaraa

by Nathan Hamm on 4/28/2006 · 18 comments

I thought this Friday I’d leave you with some Mongolian hip-hop for the weekend.

And as an added bonus, here’s some Tuvans making a Joy Division classic their own. (The band’s page is here.)

UPDATE: Look at the tracklisting for the rest of the album.

– author of 2992 posts on Registan.net.

Marcus G Zwanziger April 29, 2006 at 10:48 am

Excellent! Sharp music, beautiful people.

Speaks worlds for globalization.

Luke April 29, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Tatar is probably the best hip hop group here. It seems like every 3-4 months there is one super popular song that gets played every day on every music station on TV and radio station. Then 3 months later, new song. This song has been popular for quite awhile now, but go check out “Boroo,” or “Бороо,” also by Tatar, I think that song is better.

Mary May 3, 2006 at 12:52 am

How popular is hiphop in Mongolia? I was surprised by the quality and the band’s overall sound — good stuff. Would appreciate any recommendations for other hip hop bands to listen to.

taivan May 9, 2006 at 7:04 am

well i left mongolia when i was 12 years old and i lived in london for 3 and a half year. came back to mongolia 3 years ago. when i came to mongolia every kids in my age were listening to mongolian hip hop. the most popular bands were LUMINO, ICE TOP, DIGITAL, TATAR etc. i hated them except from tatar. they make very good songs and the lyrics are pretty good. i’m 100% sure that tatar is the best hip hop band or maybe baest band in mongolia. keep teh cool guys.

c June 14, 2006 at 7:15 pm

no onoe knows

monnie July 16, 2006 at 12:53 pm

this is very good song. I don’t know how popular hip hop in mongolia is. I was 10 when I left mongolia, and live now in Holland for 6 years. I like the songs of tatar they are ery good. And I’m very suprised of this site..( I mean that poeple from another countries listen to mongolian music..it is very good I think)

B July 30, 2006 at 8:33 am

I worked for 4 months in Mongolia in 2004. Hip Hop is by far the most popular music. So many young aspiring bands penetrate the streets of UB, and film music videos in the streets where they grew up. Most of the Hip Hop is top class, and I just can’t wait until it breaks out of Mongolia to the rest of the world.
I did hear a rumour that LUMINO were in LONDON UK this summer playing a concert?! Does anyone know more?!

benj September 1, 2006 at 3:18 am

Hi
I’m actually planning on heading to Mongolia to make a documentary on hip hop culture there. I’ve been working on the film for some time and want to go there over December, January and February. I am trying to get confirmation that there will be hip hop shows happening over this time and thought someone on this chat may know first hand. Any clues?

Cheers, benj

Zero September 3, 2006 at 4:45 pm

Benj, I am also going to MN in Dec, are you looking to hire assistance?

benj September 4, 2006 at 3:01 am

zero…what kind of assistance are you offering?

Fiona September 26, 2006 at 7:53 pm

You looking for a producer Benj? I know this great chick….

benj October 3, 2006 at 5:01 am

hey fiona!
as a matter of fact i am! i was thinking of zero, but he never got back to me. i think this blog is passe – hope the mongolian hip hop scene isn’t. reckon your friend can make monogolia this december thru feb? what is her experience? very interested – benj

BaYaRaa October 10, 2006 at 1:20 pm

Well i have listened to Mongolia hip hop all my life and i am now 16 and I really think Mongolian hip hop is getting better day by day :)
Benj you really should go to Mongolia it is a great country… Hope you have fun over there :)

Sage October 27, 2006 at 2:34 am

this is pretty cool, seeing people from other countries listening to mongolian hiphop. yes, hip hop and rap is by far the most popular genre of music in mongolia as of now (although hiphop is still in its infancy in mongolia – the first hiphop group came out in ’98). but the mongolian people have a rather quick learning ability and incorporating our own style. from what i’ve seen, hiphop and music in general in mongolia is improving literally day by day – sound quality, perfomance, and lyrics too. you’ll all be amazed to see how creative and inspirational the mongolian people really are. and yes, i’m mongolian myself. i wish i could go to mongolia next summer, but i’m too busy with school and work… =((

if you guys need some help with your documentaries, several of my friends just moved back to mongolia, and i’m sure they’d be happy to help out. bilegt@arslanstudios.com

Louise F November 29, 2006 at 7:32 am

This is great. Mogolian hip-hop really has a lot to offer! Check out this link for more great music of this type: