Heading Home

by Nathan Hamm on 9/24/2006 · 10 comments

I’m in Amsterdam at the moment on my way home. I thought that I’d take a moment to share what very well may be my favorite photo of the entire trip.

Golden Bull

Jamie September 24, 2006 at 8:43 am

I know that sign! My husband and I used it as a marking point to let us know we were almost to our favorite (and cheapest) Chinese restaurant in Bishkek, Balasagoon! Waking up to this post has made my day:) I miss Kyrgyzstan.

Joshua Foust September 24, 2006 at 9:52 am

Welcome back! I look forward to reading about what happened.

Joshua Foust September 24, 2006 at 9:56 am

p.s. that dude totally looks like Borat.

Brian September 24, 2006 at 3:53 pm

I think it’s Ben Stiller.

Nathan September 25, 2006 at 12:01 am

It is Ben Stiller, Brian. See here.

Jay September 25, 2006 at 4:57 am

I’ve been frequenting Altyn Oguz/Golden Bull since it opened in 2002. Everybody jokes with the owners about that billboard. It is indeed Ben Stiller but that is not his body! One of the managers asked me one night whether I thought the picture was offensive. If you look closely you’ll find that it’s Ben Stiller’s head on a black body. He thought it might be offensive in the rascist sense. Now it’s become an institution and no-body notices anymore. If you’re easily offended by race and ethnicity issues, then I guess the FSU should be avoided.

Nathan September 25, 2006 at 5:04 am

There shouldn’t be anything the least bit offensive beyond a copyright infringement (which really should only bother the folks who made the movie). As you can see from the link in my earlier comment, it’s an image from the movie. If I recall correctly, the picture appears on Stiller’s character’s office wall, showing his self-absorption. What amused me about the billboard is that it looked to me to have been created without the slightest bit of irony.

KJ September 25, 2006 at 5:07 am

It is the greatest pick-up place in Bishkek too; happening 7 days a week. I hope you at least checked it out.

Brian September 26, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Whoa, I was just joking, I didn’t think it really was him. But now that’s stirred my memory of Dodgeball. Although, that could be him in any number of movies.

uzbek September 26, 2006 at 11:37 pm

is that Borat taking a Jew by his hornes?