The Book of Revelations

by Joshua Foust on 11/4/2008 · 6 comments

Nathan Hodge is all a-wowza over Ken Silverstein’s book length padded magazine essay about lobbyists in the DC. Really. What a stunning revelation, that lobbyists are corrupt and there is fraud in Defense appropriations. I mean, does he count on his readers (either author, in fact) never reading a newspaper or magazine? Aside, perhaps, from Harpers?

Silverstein’s book is, of course, a padded version of his essay about lobbyists—which made for an entertaining if overwrought essay, but I fail to see how it’s also a 224 page book.

Keith G. November 4, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I suggest you read the book before commenting on it, unless you feel the entire subject is not worth exploring by anyone for any reason. Which might be a valid view, if you’d read the book.

Joshua Foust November 5, 2008 at 10:44 am

Keith:

Nope. The essay was fine — nothing spectacular, but also not especially noteworthy. I refuse to believe it makes an interesting or compelling book. Anyone who thinks he’s getting a scoop by offering a lobbyist firm $6,000 a month for services (a defense lobbyist poops that much after lunch) really isn’t worth my attention.

Travis R. November 5, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Joshua:

You fail to mention that this work is primarily about defense contractors. I find it more than a bit hypocritical that you only focus on the lobbyist side of the debate.

Josh, could this be a function that you work for a questionable defense contractors? I would appreciate your response. My experience is that the defense contractor community is extremely sleazy.

Joshua Foust November 5, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Travis, I have worked for a variety of defense contractors for a significant majority of my adult life. Our experiences match. Notice the quip about defense lobbyists in my comment above, and in the post — I know it is also about defense contractors.

I also know for a fact Silverstein is breaking zero new ground here.

Travis R. November 5, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Joshua:

I appreciate your response. Any hope for you leaving the defense contractor world?

Joshua Foust November 5, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hope? Yes. I’d like to do grad school, get my PhD, and move into academia. Right now I enjoy being able to pay off my student loans, and I kind of like being able to eat out every once in a while and travel. Haven’t figure out how to reconcile that with the grad student-starvation routine.