Fun with Traveling

by Joshua Foust on 1/15/2009 · 8 comments

Starting tomorrow, I begin my weeklong outprocessing at Ft. Benning, GA. Soon after I’ll be at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait, and soon after that I’ll be touching down at Bagram. That’s right, I’m finally getting to go to Afghanistan, and with work no less so I don’t have to beg everyone for help funding it like last time.

That also means I don’t be blogging too much. Probably some, since I’ll get bored at times and I don’t want to completely disconnect from things. And I’ll certainly post a hello picture from where ever it is I’ll be at the moment (right now I have a pretty packed schedule). But I am also going to maintain my steadfast rule not to blog about work, so I won’t be talking too much about what I’m doing or what my colleagues do.

It’ll be a fun trip. I should be back sometime in April.

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 11:40 am

Good luck.
Where will you be working?

TCHe January 15, 2009 at 11:48 am

Damn, I envy you!
Have fun and take care!

Joshua Foust January 15, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Anonymous, I really can’t say. Schedules are fluid. If you would like to reveal yourself and meet up somewhere, I can’t make any promises, but please feel free to email me directly.

Timo, don’t envy me too much. I’ll be working the whole time, and have zero flexibility in my schedule for sightseeing. Think 12-15 hour days, seven days a week, mostly stuck in a tiny computer shack where my colleagues set up shop. There will be very little fun and games.

Michael Hancock January 15, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Congrats! I know you’re trying to make it sound like a boring job, but we both know it’s exactly the kind of thing you wanted. It’s great for your career, and it’ll give you that much more ‘street cred’ since you’ll be on the ground saying what you’ve been saying… or not. The point is, it’s good for you, it’s great for Registan, and I’m likewise jealous. I’m sure I’ll get my chance to be on the ground in Afghanistan, but I’ll settle for a summer in Kazakhstan. Less dangerous, at least concerning bullets and the like, assuming I keep my comments about the Mafia and Nur-eke to myself. πŸ™‚

Oldschool Boy January 17, 2009 at 2:41 am

Have a safe trip!

TCHe January 17, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Joshua, while I’m stuck in the waiting line seemingly indefinitely, I’ll envy anyone with a job (and a pay check). Besides, I’ll do so even more so when this job happens to be in A-Stan, tight schedule or not. πŸ˜‰
Like Michael wrote: It’s exactly the kinda thing you wanted. So once more, take care and do your job (and have fun doing it)!

Best,
Timo

Ben January 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Congrats Josh! Really happy to hear it worked out. Make sure you take a peek outside your computer shack once in a while πŸ™‚
Safe travels

Stan January 19, 2009 at 4:02 am

Have fun on the trip! I do hope you’ll continue feeding other people’s addiction to your blog. Btw, apparently I wasn’t the only one who can mix interest in Central Asia with unconditional love for Patsy Stone! πŸ™‚