More explosions reported in Andijon; Independent outlets challenge the UzA version

by Noah Tucker on 5/27/2009 · 10 comments

As the day has unfolded in Uzbekistan, several independant media outlets are reporting that events in Andijon yesterday may have
been more deadly than initially reported. As of this post (0750 CDT), the Uzbek government has yet to update yesterday’s press release, but we may hear more from then soon.

Ferghana.ru’s Russian and Uzbek content is more or less synched up today, though none of this has been translated into English yet. The main story, which comes from Uznews.net, Voice of Freedom, and Ferghan.ru’s own sources, is that there was at least one other explosion in Andijon yesterday in the Chorguzar raion between 1600 and 1700 hours, and that there may have been a third one in the Bagishamal massiv on the outskirts of town. Uncomfirmed reports that Ferghana.ru indicates come from Uznews.net are that yesterday’s violence have so far resulted in 16 deaths, and that “Islamic Jihad” has sent notes to several news outlets claiming responsibility.

Noah Tucker is managing editor at Registan.net and an associate at George Washington University's Elliot School of International Affairs Central Asia Program. Noah is a researcher and consultant for NGO, academic and government clients on Central Asian society and culture. He has worked on Central Asian issues since 2002--specializing in religion, national identity, ethnic conflict and social media--and received an MA from Harvard in Russian, E. European and Central Asian Studies in 2008. He has spent four and half years in the region, primarily in Uzbekistan, and returned most recently for fieldwork in Southern Kyrgyzstan in the summers of 2011 and 2012.

Turgai Sangar May 27, 2009 at 9:51 am

Well, let’s see if this is anything more that the upteenth little fabricated “hey-ho give us money ‘cuz we’re still a frontline against Islamic terreurzim”-incident by the karimovites.

Fedya May 27, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hmm, if the situation were to escalate, Russians would naturally offer help, and send some troops to UZ, the member of the CSTO.

Wesley May 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

I wouldn’t doubt that the Islamic Jihad of Uzbekistan is indeed involved.

We shall see.

Turgai Sangar May 28, 2009 at 4:51 am

In case it is indeed the resistance: respect for the brave partisans who have the courage to take up arms against the terrorist Karimov regime. What a contrast with the piderast cowardice of the “international community”!

noah tucker May 28, 2009 at 7:08 am

To “Turgai”–
While you are entitled to your own opinions, I suppose, I absolutely disagree with you. I didn’t post this so that people could root for suicide bombers or applaud violence as a political solution.

The people of Andijon have suffered more than enough in the past few years. Independant reports indicate that innocent civillians were killed in at least one of these attacks, and many more were injured. Now they are living in a state of emergency and police are tracking down the families of the 2005 victims and searching their home and questioning them. (See uznews.net in Russian and Uzbek today).

And don’t even think about trying to say that because I don’t support violence that I support the Karimov regime.

You also spelled pederast wrong.

noah tucker May 28, 2009 at 7:15 am

To Wesley–

Please elaborate. What do you see in the situation that would seem to confirm that that particular organization was involved? I’m curious, because in spite of listening to an entire presentation about them at ASN last month (with follow up questions), I still don’t feel like I have a very clear picture about who they are or how they work or whether or not they actually exist. That very discussion was started in Interfax’s large article about the new Andijon events yesterday but was deleted from an updated version of article by midday.

If you have something to add to the discussion, please share it. I’d be interested and I’m sure others would be as well.

Turgai Sangar May 28, 2009 at 7:41 am

“don’t even think about trying to say that because I don’t support violence that I support the Karimov regime.”

No, my friend, I won’t because I know that you don’t. Let’s not be naive though. I don’t like the violence either. Yet whose fault is it that the situation in Uzb has worsened to the extent that violence becomes unavoidable?

Turgai Sangar May 28, 2009 at 8:11 am

Wesley and Noah: it might be inetersting to check this http://www.sehadetzamani.com (Turkish only). This site often serves as an IJU platform and they indeed claim the attacks.

The real tragedy in Uzb is that the secular opposition has been rooted out or marginalised, that the signals coming from “the international community” have been ambivalent at best… and then the ball comes to this kind of blokes.

ML August 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm

“Frankly, “Turgai,” I know very well that you’re not an Uzbek and you don’t have to live there, and you don’t even have the courage to post with your real name. Your careless comments don’t put your life or your relatives in danger. If you want to advocate violence, go write on some anarchist website.”

He is one of the lower forms of life, this “Turgai Sangar”. Every time I read one of his comments I have the distinct impression that I’ve just seen a rat skitter across my path. Sad that we in the West, esp. Britain, are being replaced by this type of scum.

Turgai Sangar August 30, 2009 at 5:35 am

:)lol Thank you, ML. Did you had your orgasm at least?