The Oxus: LAND OF MYSTERIES, LOL

by Joshua Foust on 7/28/2009 · 6 comments

Isn’t it great how Darvaza is like the best trope ever to make Central Asia look ++mysterious and scary?

Anyway, I’d like to see the whole thing.

Christian July 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm

“Source of Oxus remains undetermined to this day!” Brilliant. Opportunity for adventure. Huzzah.

michaelhancock July 29, 2009 at 8:47 am

This video is pretty standard for the air of ridiculousness that comes from lack of experience, right? I mean, the over-the-top announcer – it’s like he’s talking about the moon.

And Darvaza is not a mystery, nor would the Ancient Greeks [Macedonians? Greco-Bactrians?] know it, since it didn’t ignite till the Commies f’ed up in the 80s [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derweze]

michaelhancock July 29, 2009 at 8:57 am

“Has climate change in fact changed civilization?” … [And does this voice-over over the Darvaza gas crater have ANYTHING to do with this man’s premise? At all? Or is it a little Hollywood?]

Grrr… the worst part is how much money was clearly spent here. I guess I’ve become too academic.

Transitionland July 30, 2009 at 12:53 am

I’m not sure the best image for Central Asia (or Central Asians) is “lost” civilizations + Afghan war + scary pits of fire + oh look, pretty Turkmen girls in their exotic traditional dresses.

: /

EJT July 30, 2009 at 4:21 am

Yeah, if you check the guy’s website, it’s clear that he is trying to Indiana Jones-ify every place he visits or phenomenon he addresses . . . Tkm may see a tourism spike if this thing gets aired, though, as even I thought the place looked neato after watching the clip . . . and I already lived there for 6 years!

iact July 30, 2009 at 4:24 am

Yeah, if you check the guy’s website, it’s clear that he is trying to Indiana Jones-ify every place he visits or phenomenon he addresses . . . Tkm may see a tourism spike if this thing gets aired, though, as even I thought the place looked super-neato (myserious/exotic) after watching the clip . . . and I already lived there for 6 years!