Reader Help?

by Joshua Foust on 8/27/2010 · 32 comments

Can anyone lend insight into why the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is publishing Gulnara Karimova as if she’s a scholar?

Professor Gulnara Islamovna Karimova is the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Uzbekistan to Spain, Permanent Representative of Uzbekistan to the United Nations Office and other International Organizations in Geneva. She is also the Director of the Center for Political Studies (Tashkent).

Oh right, they’re indulging her pretensions to respectability. Argh. Martha Brill Olcott for the win, I guess.

– author of 1848 posts on Registan.net.

KZBlog August 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

Wow. Just wow.

Turgai Sangar August 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

Let me guessssss… disconnection from reality, which is not uncommon among certain think-tanks and academia? One can ask the same question on why Harvard let her in at the time.

Abe August 27, 2010 at 9:54 am

Wonder if they published anything by Eva Braun back in the day

Shannon August 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

yeecchh

Josh August 27, 2010 at 11:46 am

An Uzbek journalist recently told me that when Uzbekistan buys advertorials in western magazines, it’s then reported in the Uzbek media as “Forbes (e.g.) profiles Uzbekistan as a country on the move” or whatever. What do you bet they’re doing the same with this?

KZBlog September 10, 2010 at 4:12 am

Kazakhstan does the same thing. Kazakh newspapers don’t do anything to highlight that paid articles are paid for so they assume the West doesn’t either.

Nick August 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I watched a Forbes.com interview with GooGoosha a few months ago. It was fawning and uncritical, as you might expect.

donald August 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm

All it takes is money, folks. Lots of money. Being attractive helps too.

Turgai Sangar August 28, 2010 at 3:01 am

Donald, in this case I would think that the latter prevails over the first. I do not believe that it always comes to lost of money, really. Karimova might as well have buttered up someone and winded somebody around her finger at Carnergie by simply using her charms. The woman is a sociopath. And sociopaths are savvy manipulators.

As I said, it’s not always money. Take another example: Akiner’s Andijan report. Personally, I don’t buy into the line that Akiner was well-paid by the Uzbekistan embassy to do that. Rather, as I said, some scholars are cut off from reality and a numbers of Western personalities sincerely believe the Karimov line about a bulwark against ‘extremism’ and what all.

donald August 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Actually some of Brauns’s quotes are published.
Try Google

Michael August 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

She’s had a lot of work done iirc… As for the question at hand: I’m sure they paid Carnegie and CEIP was happy to take the unrelated donation

Uzbekistan August 28, 2010 at 3:49 am

Uzbekistan Government has mastered the world affairs and have rightly understood that Media would right every thing when they will benefit. We are living in the age of Commercial Media with shareholders always thinking of making more money and poor CEO always coming up with aggressive strategies to save his job and show the profits. Such a great crime was committed against me which makes me a candidate for Guineas Book of World Records. I am the only Human being on earth who was Kidnapped for 124 days by the Uzbek Security Agencies and never asked even a question and never informed of the reasons. They just wanted me to to stay because my competitors paid them money and were regularly paying them money to keep me locked. But International Media, No Government, So called Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch or any other Organization contacted me because there was no benefit. So Uzbekistan will keep on doing what they are doing since 19 years and many sensitive liberals will keep on campaigning and some USA Interest Groups will keep on benefiting and life will go and on. The Innocents will be tortured, Detained, Kidnapped, and even Boiled alive and their stories will remain UN heard off. Read my story http://www.harleytourism.com/haroonchoudhry.html

Eamonn August 28, 2010 at 5:33 am

Why dont you ask Dr. Olcott?

chris y August 28, 2010 at 7:22 am

Elena Ceausescu, anybody? Member of the Illinois Academy of Science, as I recall.

Metin August 29, 2010 at 2:58 am

Another hot post, which lacks any argument to support statement. Though, apparently many here liked it.

Uzbekistan August 29, 2010 at 4:22 am

Dear Mr Metin,
The following persons are organizations will support my statement. Pakistan Embassy in Tashkent Tel +992-71-2482173, President of Pakistan Office, Shah Mehmood Qureshi The Foreign Minister of Pakistan, Mr Shujaat Elahi The Ex Prime minister of Pakistan, and hundreds of people related with Tourism Business in Uzbekistan. Please read the story of Fergana.ru http://enews.ferghana.ru/news.php?id=1737 on the above matter. May be you have been assigned a job to campaign for the most ferocious Security agencies in the world. If even you will read my story with little common sense you will understand and feel the truth

Uzbekistan August 29, 2010 at 5:30 am

Honestly I have felt pain with the comments of METIN. But I do understand him. There is allot of paid propaganda and thus people even can not differentiate between the truth and fiction. But if some body seeks truth he or she can always find it. I am a person who has loved Uzbekistan and honestly still do love. I tried to seek justice through every channel. I met Uzbek Ambassador in Pakistan, H.E. Oybek Usmanov, I wrote a letter to Sayora Rashidovna (The so called Obudsman of Uzbekistan to fool the world), I wrote a personal appeal to President Islam Karimov, My many friends approached the SNB people and requested them help. I even offered them that I can write officially that I do not have any complaints. But those bastards in Uniforms think they are the GODs and then I decided I will start an international campaign and get help from the international community and expose them to the world. I have so many horrible stories when I was sitting in jail which will show the real face of Uzbekistan to the world. http://jambo65.typepad.com/blog/2010/05/international-travel-tips—what-to-do-if-arrested-abroad.html

Metin August 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

Uzbekistan:
I commented on initial post, not on what you wrote. Your story deserves a special attention on a separate post; here it seems to be irrelevant.
And one more remark, I feel sorry that you had troubles and international community was not able to help.

Jhangir August 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

It is because they know she never wrote it as with everything else of her work. She forces others to do the work then take credit or steal it.

Uzbekistan August 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Metin, Thank you for the comments and understanding. Here I will seek support from every body to highlight the real situation prevailing inside Uzbekistan and thus save the world from the menace of Terrorism. I have personally lived with hundreds of innocent human beings who were only the victims of extortion and were sitting and cursing the system. In Uzbekistan there are hundreds of stories with exact dates, persons, situation which will definitely open the eyes of the world and diplomats will feel at least little moral duty to bring to their governments notice the greatest excesses of the Uzbekistan security agencies. Can you imagine hundreds of Uzbek nationals have to sit in Tashkent Rehabilitation Center for 30 days if they do not have their passport in their pocket. No body cares how their families will survive, and even no body allows them to make a phone call or contact. They are fed only once in 24 hours and with the food which Dogs will not eat. They are beaten, abused, forced to work and the officials get rich on their miseries. Can you imagine a South Korean Citizen of 58 years arriving in Uzbekistan on Business assignment and then locked for 90 Days and he did not knew Russian, Uzbek and his 10 mates did not knew English and he had serious foot swelling and shitting Blood daily but the officials were trying every thing to make money by calling his friends to bring money for his treatment. An Israeli Citizen locked because his visa had expired and he shouted at the Policeman. An Afghan national who was a refugee and told by the Local police officer other wise he would lock him and then he did lock him for 90 days and then deported. A Tajik who was living in Tashkent for last 20 years, had 4 school going children, an Uzbek Wife and because he had not changed his passport from USSR so he was locked for 204 days and then deported to Tajikistan where he had no relative. Such hundreds of stories.

MM August 29, 2010 at 5:08 pm

To your question. Either personal relationships or money – most likely both would be the usual answer. The other answer in this case may be shifting power balance.

As a far distant observer it is interesting that the political structure of the “Stans” that Stalin carved up is becoming unstable. Uzbekistan may be rising from the few things I have seen bits of.

US power is dropping and the US will get out as fast as they can. Pakistan cannot project power there without Western money and support. Iran is looking to its Middle East sphere. Russia still wants a tent stake there and China also looks West for land, resources, political power,energy, and all the rest.

If Uzbekistan is the last man standing with a functional military in the region, groups like CEIP will align themselves with power centers and people connected to that power. That is what they are – pick your own name.

Uzbekistan may be standing in the eye of a storm with some odd and old power to manipulate it.

Just speculation from somebody with no scholarly or journalistic experience or skills.

Dilshod August 30, 2010 at 7:50 am

@Turgai Sangar, I would agree that some scholars live in Ivory Towers, but it’s not about Akiner. One would rarely find a scholar so realistic and sharp, critical and open-minded. This is my personal observation. What might be however applicable to most of the current experts on CA is that at times they may have some difficulty in interpreting the CA reality, as cultural divide still means something.
Second, radical religious groups do pose a threat to the stability in region. And it is not that much of imagination, we live in real world with porous borders and free flow of ideas. Police rarely report of incidents, foiled terror operations and alike as it may inspire and provoke sympathy to terrorists among potential sympathisers. Reality picture of the public should be void of violence, otherwise it may become like in the Middle East where acts of terror are taken as something regular and normal, as a part of life . It should not be. I’m just offering you some other angle to look at, not trying to change your outlook.

Turgai Sangar August 30, 2010 at 9:20 am

You know Dilshod, this is why I was quite astonished at the time: Akiner has indeed done really good and sharp work (e.g. about civil society in Tajikistan). And then this Andijan thing. I mean, if it had been done by one or another Starr boy (or lass): pfff, okay what else is new? But Akiner… Likely, the lady genuinely believed in the mission: to counter a new ‘Timişoara hysteria’. But then it got beyond her control.

“Police rarely report of incidents, foiled terror operations and alike as it may inspire and provoke sympathy to terrorists among potential sympathisers”

Hm, that, Dilhsod, I don’t believe because the Kafirov regime’s main alibi is exactly that it likes to profile itself as a bulwark against terrorism. And to keep on doing that, you need to maintain and inflate the threat and, thus, make considerable noise and pseudo-mystery of the slightest incident.

This is not to say that Uzbekistan has no problem of terrorism at all though. It has: state terror.

M August 31, 2010 at 3:43 am

I would have no problem with it if they adjusted the credential:

Unless one were to think that she would have become Ambassador Extrodinary and Plenipotentiary to Spain either way. Or that Uzbekistan would even bother having an embassy there.

Turgai Sangar August 31, 2010 at 6:44 am

“Or that Uzbekistan would even bother having an embassy there.”

Spain’s EU presidency 2010+she’s whoring around with FC Barcelona honchos. Quite probably that it’s also a post that was created or kept to dump her into some sort of comfy exile.

Metin August 31, 2010 at 8:39 am

what I noticed is some (maybe) most of those who claim to be ‘true Moslems’ are pervert and sexist. Take the Taliban, who allegedly killed women going on public without being accompanied by men; apparently they thought women are inherently whores and can not be trusted. So seams to be Tugrai – just wonder if she has sister or mother, and if he thinks they’re whores too.

Turgai Sangar August 31, 2010 at 9:38 am

I’m a ‘he’, thanks. 🙂 I have no родная сестра but several дваюродные сестры and a mother, yes. And no, I don’t think they are simply because their behaviour does not makes one think so whatsoever. If a woman wants respect, all it takes is to behave respectably. There’s nothing perverted and sexist in that, is there?

Metin September 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

I took some research (admittedly not in-depth) in Islam and life Mohammed. To my knowledge, Islam deters from calling women whore without proof. It is just good to remember, when Mohammed’s youngest wife – Aisha – was accused on adultery, the prophet ordered accusers to be punished with lashes. However, some so-called ‘true moslems’ find nowadays comfortable to say so about women. Especially about non-moslems, as if being non-moslem would automatically mean being whore. Unfortunately such people get easily noticed and spotted as typical representatives of backward religion. Some of your post seem to reinforce this stereotype.

Turgai Sangar September 4, 2010 at 3:38 am

Fine. Then read something else than the neurotics and psychopaths on Faith Freedom International or things like that. Some suggestions…

Understanding the role of Muslim women

Документальный фильм «Женщина под сенью религии Аллаха»

Metin, you seem to be an intelligent person. Tell me: do you really consider Karimova to be a standard of female respectability? And why can’t you accept that women can also play a key role in evil and rot, without calling anyone who points at that ‘backward’?

Metin August 31, 2010 at 8:25 am

Spain has a symbolic meaning for Uzbekistan. It was among the first European states which sent its envoys to Tamerlane’s empire. The country with Tamerlane’s heritage, Uzbekistan, is to ‘re-build’ its ties to Europe.

noname September 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

maybe you should just see this as a think tank publishing an opinion of a policy maker of a foreign country. this is a normal practice by think tanks like carnegie, brooklyn, etc which usually play the role of temporary station park for many policy makers of your country who usually publish their opinions, not scholarship. nothing to have with scholarship or academic credentials.
otherwise, i understand you guys: a great occasion not to miss to bash karimova and olcott, at the same time 🙂

noname September 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

hey “uzbekistan”! i understand your situation. but, your strategy could start to work against yourself. after a moment, it is getting very boring and irritating, to read your comments in almost every site related to central asia. trying too much to attract the support of others, you could soon lose any affection.

by the way, stop using “uzbekistan” as a nickname. use your own pakistani name, please!